Monday, April 22, 2013

Resolution 5 - Go Back to College - We Shall See


In 2009, I graduated Northland Community and Technical college with a Associates Degree in Liberal Arts with Journalism emphasis. Over the next two years I sent out countless resumes, but unfortunately did not hear back from a single one. I was still doing Internet writing for several different blogs and other websites on the side for free as I was doing for several years before that, but towards the end of 2011 in the span of a few months, as many Internet sites come and go, they almost all went buh-bye simultaneously. Combine that with never hearing back from a single resume after nearly two years removed from graduating and I had an epiphany that it was time to walk away from that career path.

Since 2012 I have been trying to readjust my focus on life and trying to make the right changes to become a better person. That is the whole point behind this blog, to overcome several lifelong challenges I have been too reluctant on to make the jump. As I mentioned in the intro blog, I have a list of all 13 resolutions pinned to my wall at home, and I have already crossed off five of them, and it feels great to cross off each one. So no matter how trepid I may be when it comes to facing some of these more daunting resolutions, my whole mantra making me through this is "fuck it, it is on the list!"

That brings us to resolution five: return to college. The only thing I give a modicum of a damn about right now as far as career paths go is radio. I am relieved I finally ended the podcast and can go forward from that, and part of me wants to try out for different parts of radio, namely talk radio and sports broadcasting. A couple years ago I sent a couple resumes out to some local radio stations with some podcast samples. I knew it was a long shot with no legitimate radio background, but part of me wanted to see if there was a shot down that path. Of course, I never heard back from them.

Northland does have a radio program, and one that can be completed within a year to boot. I went over to Northland earlier today for the first time since I sold my last set of books shortly after I graduated in 2009. I inquired about the program and picked up a reenrollment form. It is great to see the program is only two semesters, but the catch is that it is on their Thief River Falls campus which is an hour away. I did not fill out any forms and officially reenroll yet, but there is a bus that goes out there twice a day, and I have been going over all the logistics on how to make it work. After cramming out a bunch of options, I believe I have found a way to somehow go to work and class both full time, and it is absolutely going to kill me, but it is only going to be for a year.

For a couple hours I procrastinated on it and thought there is no way I can make this work, but now I am returning to the "fuck it, it is on the list mantra" as it stares me in the face as I type this. I went to school half time and worked 50 hours a week at two jobs previously for four years, so I guess I can do it all over again, though only for one year instead of four this time. I am going to give this a serious think for a couple more days before moving forwards, but right now I am leaning towards giving this a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment