Friday, May 17, 2013

Resolution 1 - Run Half Marathon - Day Before Preview Blog


Tomorrow is the big race day when I compete in my first ever half marathon race in Fargo. Past couple of days I have been trying to get in the right mindset to prepare for this event I signed up for nearly five months ago. I found a video showing a bunch of highlights and shots throughout last year's course so I know what I am in for. Yesterday I watched one of my favorite sports movies, Hoosiers followed up by an excellent running documentary, Spirit of the Marathon to get my psyche on.

Right after I finish writing up this blog, I will be heading down to Fargo where they have a ton of activities going on the day before the race. There is a fitness expo that will be going on all day, as well as a 5K run where the race organizers were trying to sign up 10,000 people for the nation's largest 5K and raise money for shoes for kids in the area. There is a pasta and lefse feed that evening so everyone can load up on carbs the day before the race.

It is too bad the weather is not looking too pretty for race day. When I last checked it looks like it will be raining off and on tomorrow morning throughout race time. At least the temperatures will be ideal ranging in the 60s tomorrow morning. They also are doing live online tracking of runners this year, so if you happen to be online tomorrow morning between 7:30 and 10, click here and then click 'track runner' to see my progress. I am shooting to finish the half in under two hours. The fastest I have done before on my several practice runs is 2 hours and 18 minutes, but I got a feeling I will have that race day adrenaline going on for a big boost which helped me achieve my fastest 5k and 10k times earlier this year.

I am super excited and super nervous for the race tomorrow. I got a feeling I will love it no matter how awesome or awful I perform. That wraps it up for my preview blog, check back in a couple days and hopefully I will have a detailed rundown of the marathon experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment