Friday, January 25, 2013

Resolution 7 - End the Podcast - Two Episodes Left!

Since early 2006, nearly seven years now I have been hosting a videogame themed podcast, called On Tap. If you go to ontappodcast.com you can find a listing of our entire archives to download or subscribe to the show through iTunes, Zune or RSS. I started the podcast with my friend Chris when both of us were writing for vgpub.com, and the podcast was a nice supplement to the website to expand on our latest reviews and features there for the first couple of years of the podcast.

Unfortunately, VGpub ran its course and ceased to exist in early 2008. Chris and I were having a fun time producing the show, and added our friends Scott and Matt as recurring guest hosts to spice things up. We kept the show alive by splintering it off a few months later and started ontappodcast.com. I apologize for the abysmally dated web design. Chris promised a new design, so I used my very limited web designing skills for the travesty that is currently there, and has remained there for the last several years.


About two years ago, I started to get bored with our format and felt like it was time to put an end to On Tap. We really branched out what we covered, and started doing all types of retrospectives on classic games and reviewing countless, horrible videogame based movies. After doing this for several years though, I was running out of ideas and just did not have the same drive to produce shows as I did prior. I ran this by Chris and his wife Lyzz, a fellow gamer who joined on as cohost a couple years prior, but they were not quite ready to wrap up the show.

So I roughed out another year of outputting shows, but they were just not the same as it used to be. So about a year ago I convened with Chris and Lyzz again and we agree to downgrade the show to part time status and went forward outputting shows....whenever we felt like it. A few months go by and Chris and Lyzz end up moving to Fargo. This caused a big wrench on meeting trying to get our schedules to mesh to meet up to record and so we decided come this February we will record our final episode of On Tap and put that book to rest.

That decision happed a couple months ago, and in the meantime I wanted to make sure to end the podcast on a high note and put out a few more episodes I could be proud of. Recurring guest host Matt and I have had an annual tradition on the show the last few years of themed episodes covering our friendly rivalry to see who has beaten more games throughout the year. I always enjoy those episodes, and we recorded that one a couple weeks ago. Last year Matt and I also had our first best and worst of the year in movies episode. That episode was a thrill to record and was a very nice break from all our regular videogame talk, so I was eagerly anticipating our second installment. Yesterday, we recorded our second annual best and worst of the year in movies episode, and I brought on coworker and fellow movie enthusiast Jay for his take as well!

We ended up going way longer than I thought we would, and clocked in one of our longest podcasts yet at just over three hours! Matt and Jay keep up with a lot of the behind the scenes happenings of Hollywood than I do, and had quite a lot of wisdom to shed about the latest going on in the industry as it related to our top 10 and worst 5 picks of the year so please bear with us as we went off the rails a few times with some lengthy tangents. Regardless, it was blast to partake in and I got a bunch of new movies added to my Netflix Queue as a result, hopefully you will too coming out of this. Click here to give it a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment