Monday, January 28, 2013

Resolution 1 - Run a Half Marathon - Training Update

Since my last entry on running a couple weeks ago, I made the trek to Scheels and spent way too much money on winter running clothes in preparation for the local Frozen Feat 10k run. I purchased a Nike inner shell that was surprisingly comfy, some track pants and running gloves. Today was one of our warmest days of the last several weeks which has mostly consisted of temps dipping into subzero almost every day. It got up to 26 degrees this afternoon, and I felt it was a perfect opportunity to bust out the winter running gear for a test....run, sorry.


I went for a quick 2.35 mile run to see how warm the running gear would get after generating some body heat. From what I have gathered, dressing lightly for winter runs is the way to go, it is pretty bitter for the first five to ten minutes, but once the body heat kicks in it is smooth sailing the rest of the way. My run was for a little under a half hour, and that was pretty much how it went down for me. I was not freezing by any means initially, especially compared to our temps that were 20 to 30 degrees cooler a couple days prior, but I was easily a little chilly in my light clothing attire at the start. Though after five to ten minutes, I felt the body heat pumping and was fine for the rest of the duration of the run. Hopefully once temps settle into the 20s and 30s regularly here hopefully within a month I can get be done with the treadmill for awhile and switch to running outdoors again full time.

I did go out and pick up a cheap windbreaker for a light outer shell afterwards, just in case on run day in a few weeks temps are in the single digits. If that is not the case, well, I was in need of a new spring jacket anyways so I am a winner regardless! The day before my first outdoor run of the year, I reached two huge milestones for me running on the treadmill. I finally broke the 10 mile mark with a 10.2 mile run in 100 minutes. Like I stated before, each run I have either been increasing my amount of time and/or speed running by a minute or two or an extra tenth mile an hour. It felt great finally breaking that pesky 10 mile barrier. From what I have read and heard from friends, come marathon time you are going on adrenaline for the last few miles so I should be well conditioned now to last the half marathon.

I have been debating now for the next few months by looking at other half marathon training programs how to spread out my runs. I have been leaning towards one program that consists of five runs a week going in the pattern of 5 miles/2 miles/off/6 miles/3 miles/10 miles/off a week. If anyone has any pointers or past experiences to share on getting ready for a marathon I am all ears. Feel free to leave a comment below, or email or tweet me.

No comments:

Post a Comment